Fire officers donned HazMat suits like the ones above
A MAN smoking cannabis sparked a major chemical scare.
More than 20 firefighters, police patrols, paramedics, and the Fire Brigade’s Hazardous Materials Team were called to a property in Clifton Drive, Lytham, after a resident reported poisonous fumes pouring into his flat.
Fire crews from Penwortham, Preston, St Annes, and Blackpool raced to the scene fearing it could have been a deadly carbon monoxide leak.
However, the emergency was called off after it appears the man in the flat below was found to have been smoking cannabis.
John Taylor of Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We sent the appropriate level of cover for a potential hazardous material situation.
“The man called and said he was having trouble breathing and we have to take that seriously.
“If we don’t attend and there is an incident – it’s not something we can risk.”
The drama unfolded at 8.50pm pm on Thursday.
Emergency services attended the scene and removed the man from the flat.
Two firefighters in Hazardous Materials (HazMat) suits were sent into the building to check for fumes but returned negative results.
They declared the flat clear of fumes but police officers called at the flat below.
It was there they found a man smoking cannabis.
Lancashire Police confirmed a local man was given a police caution for possession of cannabis following the incident.
A spokeswoman for the force said: “Police were called by around 8.50pm on Thursday to reports chemicals could be smelt.
“A 38-year-old man was given a police caution for possession of cannabis.”